The Government says Elmbridge must find space for around 9,400 new homes in the borough over the next fifteen years. EBC has now put together five Local Plan options, from intensive high rise building in our towns to building on some of the Green Belt.
Residents interested in the future development of Weybridge can learn more and have their say at an Elmbridge Local Plan consultation meeting in Esher on 27 August, 7-9pm. You need to book a place in advance, and can also submit panel questions in advance.
Elmbridge Borough Council currently has no preferred option — it is going to make a decision after the public consultation, so your views really do matter!
The options include things that will be unwelcome for residents in some areas. A 2016 consultation proposed building on 3% of Green Belt, and was vocally opposed by residents potentially affected by building on Green Belt, for example two areas of Cobham. This has increased pressure for higher density high rise building in larger towns (Walton and Weybridge).
It is important that residents in each part of Elmbridge have a fair say. To find out more about the options:
- View our PPDRA Local Plan Special Newsletter here
- Download the draft Local Plan options paper from the EBC website.
Here is what Elmbridge Borough Council says about the consultation:
On 24 July, Elmbridge Borough Council’s Cabinet met to discuss the upcoming Local Plan consultation and agreed on the options to be presented to Elmbridge residents from 19 August – 30 September 2019. They also agreed to a series of six public meetings to discuss the options with residents and to hear the views of our residents.
The meetings will each have a different area focus, they will all take place at the Civic Centre off the High Street in Esher and they will all be webcast, allowing residents to watch all the meetings from the comfort of their homes.
The meeting dates and area focus are as follows:
- Tuesday 27 August, 7-9pm – Weybridge
- Wednesday 28 August, 7-9pm – Walton-on-Thames and Hersham
- Thursday 29 August, 7-9pm – Molesey
- Monday 2 September, 7-9pm – Cobham, Oxshott and Stoke d’Abernon
- Tuesday 3 September, 7-9pm – The Dittons and Hinchley Wood
- Thursday 5 September, 7-9pm – Esher and Claygate
Residents should book to attend a meeting and we would request that residents attend one meeting only in person, to allow as many as people as possible to take part in the consultation. The webcast is also available to all and there will be a webcast replay service.
The format of the public meetings will be as follows:
7pm – Presentation on the Local Plan options
On the panel:
- Ray Lee, Strategic Director, Elmbridge Borough Council
- Kim Tagliarini, Head of Planning Services, Elmbridge Borough Council,
- Rachael Thorold, Local Plan Manager, Elmbridge Borough Council
7.30pm – Questions and answers session
- Questions should be submitted in advance.
- Following registration, residents will be sent an email with the opportunity to submit a question for the panel.
Councillor Karen Randolph, Portfolio Holder for Planning Services, would like to encourage residents to get involved in the upcoming consultation:
“The Local Plan is vitally important for the future of Elmbridge and we want to ensure that our residents are fully aware of the options, which is why I would encourage our residents to come along to the relevant public meeting or watch it through the webcast. Please book online to attend and send us your question in advance to ensure we can provide you with a full response.”